Friday, September 16, 2011

Don't Try It Topless

Today's post is just a short little ditty from my crazy life ...

The boys were at their dad's house and I was home alone.  It was a Saturday night, and I had a wild hair to clean, sort, organize, etc.  As I cleared the debris that accumulates by living a busy life, I found myself going in and out of the garage.  What to do with this stack of magazines? Oh, I'll put them in the recycling bin in the garage. You get the picture ... out, in, out, in.  Until that one time ... when the door locked behind me.  Yep, I locked myself out of my house.  What's the big deal, you say? People lock themselves out all the time. That's right, but because my life is my crazy life, that "normal" thing couldn't happen to me.  Let me 'splain ...

While I was in this cleaning/sorting/organizing frenzy, I got hot. Really hot.  So I took off my shirt and was working in my jogging bra and a pair of shorts.  I was home alone, my garage was closed, what's the big deal, right? Well, when I went into the garage and the door locked behind me, I didn't have a shirt on.  Yep, I locked myself out of my house ... without a shirt on.

I couldn't figure out what to do.  No phone, no keys ... no shirt! I pondered and pondered and pondered ... what to do? Just as I was about to suck it up, open the garage, and knock on doors with no shirt on (gasp!), I saw a basket where I keep clothes that need to go to the drycleaner, the tailor, etc.  I had just gone to the drycleaner so it was mostly empty, but there at the bottom, all by itself, was a brown velvet "fancy" shirt that had a big hole in the side. I put it on, opened the garage, and headed out onto the street to go borrow someone's phone.

Huh. That's weird.  Did you know that people don't answer their doors at night? I knocked on three neighbors' doors before I got one to come to the door and ask "who is it?"  This was a neighbor I didn't really know, so I had to introduce myself, explain my dilemma, and ask to use his phone.  Thank God I had given my mother a spare house key, and thank God she lives so close.  I woke her, rousted her out of bed, and begged her to come and bring me her spare key, which she did.  That night my neighbor and my mother were heroes.

Moral of the story: No matter the situation, do not step outside your house without your top on.

No comments: