Tuesday, November 16, 2010

How Come You're So Lame?

Have you seen those commercials?  You know, the ones with the blonde-haired little boy, about 7 years old, who is talking about some cool new car.  There is a series of them, but each one ends the same: he is sitting in the backseat with his seat belt on, he looks at the camera and says "Just because you're a parent doesn't mean you have to be lame."  I lauged.  I laughed until it became clear that Stinker has seen those commercials, too, and he uses the word against me.

I've mentioned this before; these kids are sponges and they absorb everything.  I often hear myself being parroted back to me - in tone and content - and I unfortunately hear their father as well.  (There are a few choice phrases they have picked up from him that are almost enough to make me slap their faces ... but I digress.)  Every now and then Sweetie will use a word or phrase I am certain he has heard at school, but Stinker is still young enough that he gets everything from either his parents or the television.  He's been claiming things are "lame" for about two weeks now. 

I play an online game that keeps track of each player's respective position on the leader board.  I play with the same group of people, and I am often in first place, but not for long.  One player in particular unseats me from my first-place throne regularly.  Stinker likes to watch me play and tell me when I should ask for a "hint" and when to use the bonus moves available.  He was watching me the other day and he noticed my avatar was in second place, not first.  Him: "Mom, are you in second place?"  Me: "Yes.  [So-and-so's Mom] is ahead of me again."  Him:  "How come you're so lame?"

Guess what?  I didn't have an answer for him.  I truly and honestly do not know why I am so lame.  Worse, I don't know exactly what to do about it. 

Kids.  You gotta love when they speak their truth without any inhibitions, reservations or filters.

No comments: