Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Project Pound Loss: Week 3 Boo Hiss!

I didn't lose this week.  In fact, I gained.  Not much, but I gained.  So the question is, what went wrong?  Here's what I know I didn't do this past week that I did on the weeks I lost:  cook most of my own meals and track my food.  Seriously, for me, eating out is going to be the death of me.  It doesn't matter where you eat or what you eat, it is ALWAYS better to eat at home if weight loss is the goal.  Even "grilled" things in restaurants are full of oils and fats because they keep the "grill" lubed so food doesn't stick.  And they don't lube with cooking spray, let me tell you!!  And we don't even need to talk about portions in restaurants ... a typical restaurant meal is 3 or 4 times the portion size we should be eating. 

I remember a quote from Dolly Parton many years ago that I thought was weird at the time but now I think it's genius.  Someone asked her how she kept her tiny waist and she said she eats a lot of fruits and vegetables and she really controls her portions.  She said that whenever a plate of food is placed in front of her, she divides everything into threes: one for her to eat now, one for her to eat later, and one for her guardian angel that she leaves behind.  And this was back when portion sizes were much more reasonable than they are now.  Brilliant, I say.

I have made up stories in my head about why I gained this week.  They make me feel less discouraged, but I realize they are just stories.  The truth is, I gained 1.2.  I just added another week until I reach my ultimate goal.  That's a bummer, but it's not the end of the world.  I remain committed and I'm working on discipline.  Next week I'll be back to being "friends" with this project.

No comments: